Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Gotta Roll With the Punches

Soooo, life in Boston has begun.  Getting here was quite a process though.  I have learned a lot about flexibility and dealing with stress through my moving process.  My original plan for moving was for me to drive my car and my dad to drive his car, both loaded down with my stuff.  However, on Thursday of last week that plan was crushed by a large pick-up truck.  My poor little car, The Emerald Prison, was hit on the back side while parked outside of my house.  See picture below:


Due to the fact that the trunk would no longer open, and that I was leaving in 2 days, traveling plans had to be changed.  So my dad ended up driving alone with a STUFFED car on Sunday, and my brother and I got to fly on Monday.  Limiting stuff is not something I am very good at, but I had to limit what I was bringing from 2 car loads to 1 car load.  Oh the stress, but I was able to accomplish it!  And luckily we flew Southwest where 2 bags fly free!

After the stress of changing plans at the last minute, I was finally on my way to my new home.  Flying was actually a blessing in disguise, because once I reached Boston I soon realized that I never want to drive in this city.  Confusing, hectic and crazy don't even begin to describe the roads and drivers up here.  I lived in Atlanta for a year and thought driving was bad there, but it doesn't even compare!  So I will happily be walking and using the T everywhere I go up here.

Once I arrived, I came to check out the new home (which I will take pics of later and put on here but my camera battery is currently dead).  It is a really cool house, old but nice.  My room is on the top floor (3 floors basically) and is a perfect size.  I almost had a heart attack because of the itty bitty closet, but I have actually managed to fit more in it that I expected.  My only issue with the house is the number of bathrooms, 1 bathroom for 5 people.  I am not a fan of sharing bathrooms, but we shall see how that goes.

My adventures so far around Boston have included walking around Harvard Square, a tour of Fenway Park, and a walk along the Freedom Trail.  Harvard square is really cool and only about a mile down the road.  It has tons of little shops and restaurants.  Fenway was fun.  My brother is a big Red Sox fan, so he really enjoyed it.  We will be going to a game tomorrow night.  Freedom Trial is a path that takes you all around downtown Boston and tells you about the historical sites.  It's really cool because all of this history is in the middle of new buildings.  I am very excited to go back and explore downtown Boston some more.  Also, more pics of downtown once I charge my camera battery.  I did get a few of Fenway on my phone so I will put those at the bottom.

So far I am enjoying Boston.  I haven't had any run-ins with rude northerners yet; however, my dad has.  I will end with this entertaining story.  My dad arrived in Boston before me and my brother did, so he went to my house first to unload his car so he could pick us up from the airport.  Well my house is split into two houses, and my address is #2.  My dad didn't know this little bit of information.  My roommates left the door unlocked for me to move in that day, so my dad just decided to try both doors.  Well he picked the wrong door and he walked into our neighbors house, which is a man who lives there with his wife, son and grandson.  The man proceeded to yell at my father, even after my dad tried explaining.  He continued to yell "Get out of my house" at my dad until my dad closed his door and left.  I thought this was a great way for my dad to be introduced to my new home!

Anyway, until next time!  I hope to have some new experiences to share soon!  See the pics of Fenway below:

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, the emerald prison is wounded! I can't believe it! Your poor dad! I would have had a heart attack!! Keep writing about your adventures!! I can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing a bathroom.....hmmmm this may call for many phone conversations....;)

    ReplyDelete